A half (plural: halfs) is an individual with 50% or more sura blood. Halfs age four times slower than pureblood humans. Halfs always show some non-human traits derived from the sura ancestor(s)' clan, but they generally retain human form. Halfs are primarily carnivorous, preferring to eat raw meat, but will tolerate small amounts of vegetables; Kinnara halfs, however, are more likely to be omnivorous like their sura ancestor(s).
Most halfs are born between halfs, but there is also the possibility of a half and a quarter (eg: half 75% and quarter 25% sura blood) or a half and a pureblood (eg: half 87.5% and pureblood 12.5% sura blood) giving birth to a half. Unless one of the parents is a quarter or a pureblood, the half parents have to be of the same clan heritage.
The higher the percentage of sura blood a half has, the more sura features appear, such as fur, tails, animal-like ears, and fins. In rare cases, Garuda (bird) and Asura (insect) halfs can have wings as well.
Skills and AbilitiesEdit
Halfs, especially Yaksha halfs, are known for their great strength. However, the number of generations separating the half from the nastika ancestor does help determine the strength of the individual.
Their powers derive from their sura blood rather than from the gods, which allows them to use transcendental skills. A half typically possesses one clan attribute (e.g. Light for Yaksha halfs) and one or more hereditary attributes derived from the nastika ancestor(s); these determine the type of transcendentals a half is able to use.
Vritra (dragon) halfs are exceptional because unlike other halfs,
- they can transform into full sura form
- they can understand and use sura speech (a rarity among other halfs)
- they gain most of the abilities of a 5th-stage rakshasa at the age of 100.
- Due to their slower aging, pregnancy with a half lasts 40 months.
- The mother of a Vritra half loses one year of her lifespan for every half month of pregnancy.
- Kasak Rajof, in human form, often eats large amounts of raw and dried meat. In sura form, he has been seen feeding on dead Ananta suras.
- Hana Lehn, Ran's mother, was overjoyed upon spotting a meat buffet during a party.
- It is possible to uncover a half in human disguise by serving him/her vegetarian food. This is what Asha did when she suspected Yuta to be a half, or even a superior sura. This test is sometimes used at checkpoints, where visitors to a city would be served a vegetable to determine if they are really human. Taksaka (a nastika, not a half, but equally carnivorous) was forced to eat a cucumber when trying to get into Mistyshore to see Ian Rajof.
Before the N0 Cataclysm, halfs were treated the same as humans and quarters, but during the Cataclysm, emotional resonance with the kings of their respective clans caused them to lose all control, attacking their own friends and families. Since that event, they lost all their rights and are now discriminated against by humans. They require a sponsor to pass the checkpoints of the major cities. Sponsor-less halfs are often captured and sold in auctions as food in areas where half hunting is legal, because some sura traits are highly prized among humans for their properties; for example, eating Garuda (bird) eyes is considered a way to improve one's eyesight. Most halfs refuse this treatment and live in remote, hidden villages.
- ↑ Kubera, Season 2 Episode 8: Blood (3)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Kubera, Season 1 Episode 60: Rival (3)
- ↑ Kubera, Season 2 Episode 57: Grudge (7)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Kubera, Season 1 Episode 61: Rival (4)
- ↑ Kubera, Season 1 Episode 47: Half (半) - 5
- ↑ Kubera, Season 1 Episode 72: The Night it Rained Fire (9)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Kubera, Season 1 Episode 49: Half (半) - 7
- ↑ the finite, Chapter 11
- ↑ Kubera, Season 1 Episode 13: The Sorrow of Loss (2)